Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Feel the pain

So, lasts night workout was another eye opening one for me.

15.12.9.6.3 reps of
Front Squats
Burpees

The RX weight was 100lbs for women but I went with 85. I was honestly embarrassed about not RXing it. I felt like a complete failure for not at least TRYING 100lbs (or at least 95).

As a 5'10" power house female, I feel like I am expected to RX every workout. Sometimes I just want to get through a workout without fucking killing myself. I shouldn't feel guilty about that right? Or is that the purpose of these workouts?

But then on the other hand, sometimes I just don't want to feel the pain. My body is most likely able to handle certain weights and workouts, but there is just something inside of me that doesn't want to give it a try. Perhaps I am afraid of failing or falling behind everyone else.

During one workout that Jay monitored me very closely for, he said to me "don't be afraid to breathe heavy". I feel like all I do is breathe heavy. It's a constant reminder of how out of shape I feel. Maybe I just don't want to be constantly reminded of that fact.



...........Or maybe I just really fucking hate front squats.

1 comment:

  1. I scaled so much that I didn't even go, while you were there doing the WOD, I was home eating pizza, how fucking scaled is that? You did great. This is stolen from Journal Menu's very recent FB posting...read it, remember it, own it....

    "Yeah, but I scaled."

    I hate hearing this - its usually at the end of a WOD, when someone just crumpled to the floor, dead last by minutes, breathing hard while classmates go up to congratulate.

    "Dude, that was awesome, way to fight through", "You did SO good!", "That was amazing, great job today", "Good job finishing, way to not give up!"

    "Yeah, but I scaled"

    As if scaling is something to be ashamed of, as if scaling is for the weak and the untrained.

    As if scaling means you didn't do the workout - or your workout was less worthy because you scaled.

    It isn't.

    We are all in a constant state of scaling - even the elite of the elite, even the few who make it to the finals at The CrossFit Games

    Double unders are scaled triple unders, MU are scaled weighted MU, 15' rope climbs are scaled 20' climbs.

    Sure, they aren't called for in the WODs today, but what about tomorrow?

    Scaling is how you get from where you are now to your future kickass self.

    Scaling is how you stay safe and healthy.

    Scaling is how you finish the workouts and feel obliterated after, using a band instead of just staring at the bar for 10 min willing yourself to get a pullup.

    Scaling is how you improve your technique and learn to lift heavier.

    Scaling, is not, however, something to be ashamed of or something that you can use to write off your WOD as a poor performance.

    So next time you are crumpled on the floor gasping for air, be proud that you choose the right scale for you.

    Be proud that you killed the WOD, and that the WOD killed you.

    ReplyDelete