Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I GOTTA HAVE IT!!

Cravings. Everyone has them.
I live with 3 dudes who were blessed with obnoxiously fast metabolisms, big appetites and a love for pasta like I’ve never seen before in my life. We literally have a whole cabinet dedicated to boxes of Barilla Ziti and Franceso Traditional pasta sauce. Pasta just so happens to be my biggest craving, along with chocolate.
Since we’re on the topic of chocolate, let’s rewind to Halloween 2011. I had JUST started the paleo challenge and was trying to kick the chocolate habit. My roommate decided to buy over $50 worth of candy to pass out…and because Mother Nature is a bitch, only about 4 sets of kids hit up our house due to the snow on the ground. So you can assume how much candy we had left over; however, it does not stop there. My roommates actually put on costumes and went trick or treating themselves. Our neighbors were so ‘over’ the holiday that they gave my roommates all of THEIR leftover candy (some houses were even passing out jello shots…awesome). We had bowls...plural…full of candy.  I would come home from the gym to my roommate sprawled out on the couch in a chocolate coma with wrappers everywhere. 
Luckily, I survived. It wasn’t easy…and that’s the understatement of the century. How did I do it? Here are a few of my tips:
1.      Don’t let yourself get hungry. I’ve noticed that when I’m hungry, my brain shuts off and goes into straight up survivor mode and this is when binging usually occurs. Not good. Unless you’re binging on vegetables. Which isn’t likely.
2.      Make sure you always have water on hand. They have these awesome things called water bottles and, like, you can put water in it and it has a top so it doesn’t spill all over the place. (-->That was my best attempt at being a snotty valley girl. How did I do?) So you have no excuse to carry one around with you everywhere.
3.      If you get a craving, find something to keep you busy…whether it’s reading a book, doing the dishes, or just going into another room further away from the kitchen. When cravings hit, my brain literally haunts me, “just go eat it and get it over with…just do it, it won’t affect anything” The only way it stops is if I cave in…or find something to get my mind off of it.
4.      If you’re stuck in a room full of your friends stuffing their faces with junk food and you can’t leave…man up and deal with it! Try to remember how good you feel saying no to such food versus how you feel after you cheat. The guilt isn’t worth it!
5.      Find paleo substitues. Craving chocolate? You can have it! Here’s a great recipe for paleo chocoate cake in a mug…perfect size, great ingredients. Indulge in a healthy way. And try to limit these to 1 serving…kind of defeats the purpose if you’re going to take 5 of them to your face.
The holiday season has passed…for now. Easter candy trumps Halloween candy 100:1 so we’ll see if I can survive that round too.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment